Puriri Drive is the linking road between the 'Ante-Park' in Manukau Road / Campbell Crescent and the Greenlane Road entrance to the Park. Today, Puriri Drive is home to a number of sports clubs, including rugby league, rugby union, jogging and bowls. In 1926, after sufficient funds had been accumulated, the trustees embarked on the 'development era' of the park. Under the chairmanship of Sir James Gunson, Puriri Drive was the first road to be planted. The puriri trees (Vitex lucens) retain their bright pink flowers and round red fruit throughout the year, providing a constant food source for birds.