Acacia Cottage was first situated off Shortland Street, the present-day O'Connell Street in downtown Auckland. Campbell shared the house with his business partner William Brown. The Brown family lived in the main part of the house, while Campbell occupied the "bachelor quarters" out the back. Later, employees of Brown & Campbell's firm lived in Acacia Cottage, until it was moved to Cornwall Park in 1921. The cottage was furnished in 1976 with pieces from the early 20th Century era and fully restored in 1995-96. Neither 'Logan Bank' – Campbell's first substantial house, near the foot of Symonds Street – nor 'Kilbryde' – his Italian-style mansion overlooking Judges Bay – has survived. Yet, Acacia Cottage still stands, now the oldest wooden building in Auckland, and a reminder of Campbell's humble beginnings in New Zealand.